Wednesday 20 June 2018

FORTY NINE YEARS

Hello my lovelies!



Today is the 49th anniversary of Papa and me!   When you say 'forty nine' years it does seem a long time, but in many ways it doesn't seem long at all.  I still feel just the same as when I got married.  Back then it was the swinging 60's. It was the era of mini skirts and that's just what I wore, although it wasn't a skirt it was a dress with a wee coat over the top and it was just above the knee which was short for that time.  My Dad picked me some flowers from the garden and put some tin foil around the bottom and that's what I carried into the registry office.  I remember some of the flowers were sweet william.



  None of us had a car at that time, so Papa organised a car from the car hire folk to pick me up.  The car-hire folk wanted to make the car all 'weddingy' but as you know, I'm not really one for 'fancy' and I said "No thank you!  The car will be just fine as it is!"

It was pouring with rain that day but nothing could have dampened my happiness.  I was surprised at how short the 'service' was and was a bit worried I wouldn't pronounce the word 'impedement' correctly.  I think the sentence went something like, "I see no legal impediment why I should not be married to this man." or something like that.  

At the wedding was Auntie Margaret and Uncle Louis, Papa's mum and dad, my dad, a friend of Papa's with his girlfriend Teresa, Auntie Mairi and Uncle Angus and a friend of mine.  After the wedding we headed back to Milngavie where Papa's mum put on a lovely lunch.  I ran upstairs and slipped out of my wee outfit and put on my jeans, grey jumper and I think Adidas sneakers which I just loved at the time - three stripes you know!

After lunch, we caught a taxi into Glasgow to Central Station and settled ourselves into a lovely carriage on the train and headed to Oban for a week's honeymoon.



  When we arrived at our lovely hotel on the esplanade, I opened my little case to find that someone (Auntie Margaret I think) had filled it with confetti.  Here's a picture of the hotel - Corriemar Hotel.


A few months later we cut out an advertisement to go to Australia for ten pounds and we were off again, this time by aeroplane!



Today we're heading out to the Two Birds Cafe for lunch.  Here are the lovely Two Birds...


...and here's their cafe.


Love Nanxxx  PS  I couldn't find a wedding photograph - but when I do, I'll post it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

TUESDAY MORNING AT 9.42AM

Hello my lovelies! Here are Wayne and Papa leaving for Geham to put the cross up.  Can you see wee Molly and Spotty Boy looking u...