Saturday 10 June 2017

MAKING LEMON CURD

Hello my lovelies

One of my jobs this morning was to make some Lemon Curd as the lemon tree in the garden is just heaving with lemons.  I printed off a recipe from Donna Hay. Here's her photograph.


LEMON CURD

Ingredients
3 eggs
2 egg yolks
1 cup (220g) caster sugar
1 tb finely grated lemon rind
half cup (125ml) lemon juice
150g cold unsalted butter (chopped)

Method

1.  Place eggs, egg yolks, sugar, lemon rind and lemon juice in a bowl and whisk to combine.  Pour mixture into a large saucepan over medium heat and cook, stirring for 2 minutes or until sugar has dissolved.

2.  Reduce the heat to low and gradually add the butter, 3 pieces at a time, stirring continuously until melted.  Continue to cook, stirring continuously for 4-6 minutes or until mixture is thickened and coats the back of the spoon.

3.  Strain immediately into a medium bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour or until cold.
Makes 1 and half cups.

Can store in airtight container or sterilised jar in fridge for up to one week.

Here are my photographs:

Eggs, sugar and lemon rind already in bowl.  In process of squeezing lemons.


Throw squeezed lemon husks into the sink.  Bit of lemon juice is great when you're washing up.



It seems an awful lot of butter.


Cook, adding butter slowly.


Strain to get rid of the scrambled egg type stuff.


Cover with cling film and put in fridge to cool down.

Then start washing up everything that is covering the stove and counters.  And voila!


My Lemon Curd!  Seems an awful lot of effort for one jar but Papa being Papa said it tastes like Heaven.

I've taken some lemons down to Juliet and will wait with fingers crossed for her to bring me a jar.  Think my jar is going to be my best and only effort for this year.

Love Nanxxxx

1 comment:

TUESDAY MORNING AT 9.42AM

Hello my lovelies! Here are Wayne and Papa leaving for Geham to put the cross up.  Can you see wee Molly and Spotty Boy looking u...