Thursday 8 June 2017

FREEZING, VISITING, SHEARING

Hello my lovelies

Another freezing day here today so I'm all wrapped up in leggings jumpers, big woolly socks and Ugg boots.  Papa has just brought the two dogs in here and closed the office door as there is an inspection going on next door and the two of them are giving the poor folk a proper telling off.

Yesterday I was supposed to go to quilting but I decided in the end to stay home as I had a very sore throat and felt quite poorly.  I took a couple of Panadol after lunch and took myself off into the sunshine in the garden with my book.  Promptly fell asleep.  Panadol does that to me for some reason.

Around 4.00pm, dear Robyn popped in to see how things were going.  Papa made us both a cuppa and we sat and chatted for a while.

I'm not sure if you've heard about Cecil the sheep that was found recently after years of wandering in the wilderness.  It's thought he may have escaped while sheep were being sheared.  Cecil was rescued from a cliff ledge in a disused quarry at Heybridge in Tasmania.



Too heavy to clamber back up, the five-year-old was stuck there for about a week without food or water.  Apparently Cecil came from a property near Bothwell in Tasmania's south but it's not known how he travelled the 200 kilometers to Heybridge.

After he was shorn, the fleece was weighed in at 38 kilograms!  Imagine carrying that amount of extra weight around - especially if you are trapped on a cliff ledge for over a week with no food or water.

The person who sheared him said that he was very calm as he was being sheared.  "I was surprised that he just sat there," she said.  "Maybe he figured out the game was up and this might help him a lot."

The future of Cecil's fleece has not been worked out yet.

"The quality of the wool, it's beautiful,"  Ms Gunter said.  "It's a lovely, lovely fleece really.  I doubt you'd make a beautiful suit out of but you'd probably make socks, singlets or perhaps if it was too terrible make it into a wool doona."

So now we know.  If we own a wool doona, it's made out of terrible wool.

The RSPCA are now looking for a good home for Cecil.



Love Nanxxxx






No comments:

Post a Comment

TUESDAY MORNING AT 9.42AM

Hello my lovelies! Here are Wayne and Papa leaving for Geham to put the cross up.  Can you see wee Molly and Spotty Boy looking u...