Monday 5 June 2017

VISITING, BUILDING, CHATTING, THINKING, TIDYING, QUILTING

Hello my lovelies

We had a lovely day yesterday with Don, Jenny and their youngest daughter Sarah who has not long finished high school.  We started the visit off by going outside, sitting in the winter sunshine and munching on the yummy nibblies that Jenny had prepared.

Then, Jenny called us in for a most delicious lunch - the main was apricot chicken.

While we were still sitting around the table, Don and Jenny's son Brendan popped in with his partner Sarah.  We all continued chatting, drinking our cups of tea and eating lots of delicious chocolates until it was time to head out and see how Don and Jenny's new home is coming along.

The new home is being built just off Happy Valley Road which is on the right hand side, just passed the army barracks.

Their block is on the high side of the road and has a fabulous view over the escarpment to the east. This photograph is taken on a block on their road  showing the view.  I don't think this is their block but it's on the same side of the road.  I just got this one off the Internet.


The builders have reached the stage where all the frames for the house are up and probably this week they will get the roof timbers up.  Even though it was just timber frames, we had a good idea of how the house is laid out.  Here's a photograph of Jenny and Don outside their new front door.


They have used lots of great 'patterns' described by the famous architect Christopher Alexander in his book A PATTERN LANGUAGE.



One great pattern that they have used is the creation of an outdoor room.  Although this room has been created as an outdoor room which will include a special kitchen for barbecues, it has been built under the main roof.  When not in use, the room can be closed off with shutter doors.  In this room there are wonderful views into the garden.  These windows will be glazed so that if it is a coolish day, the room can be closed off.  I'm sure this is going to be a well-used room.  This room also has a northern aspect which means it will receive sunshine in the winter.

Here are a couple of examples of 'patterns' from Alexander's book.



I will continue to take photographs as the building continues.  Actually, Jenny sent me an email this morning to say that she has a Facebook Album chronicling the build.  When I find it, I will let you know so that if you like, you can follow it too.

Today is Bible Study day.  I finished off my study last night.  We are nearing the end of our study on Haggai and Zechariah.  Although I had hardly heard of these two prophets, and although their 'books' are quite small, what they have to say has been very encouraging.

When we start each study in our study book, the first question is always "Write down something you learnt or that was helpful to you from the previous notes."

This is something I learnt and found helpful from the last study.

"Only by consciously drawing aside to spend time with God are our spiritual lives enriched and we are equipped to serve Him and others."

Well my loves, I must away.  I have another LIST.  I'm aiming to get this office tidy, clear the sewing table which is now ten metres high with stuff that I need to find a place for, organise my gardening file and sew an extension on my Christmas quilt so that I can continue quilting near the edges.

Love Nanxxx


No comments:

Post a Comment

TUESDAY MORNING AT 9.42AM

Hello my lovelies! Here are Wayne and Papa leaving for Geham to put the cross up.  Can you see wee Molly and Spotty Boy looking u...