Wednesday 9 August 2017

CLEANING AND QUILTING OR WEDNESDAY MORNING 10.55AM



Hello my lovelies

Well, yesterday was the day!  What day you may ask?  The day to CLEAN THE OVEN, my most dreaded task in the house.

This is the first time I have cleaned it since we moved here three and a half years ago, so well overdue.  

First of all, I went on to the Internet to see what I needed to do to clean the inside of the oven door.  Lots of information using bi-carbonate of soda which sounds quite scientific but ultimately proved to be quite pantryish and saw me finally grabbing the Brillo pad and getting into it regardless of whether I would scratch the glass or not.  So long as it's clean, I'm happy.

Anyway scrubbing away, I noticed that some of the gunk wasn't coming off and after calling for Papa's help discovered that the door consisted of three, yes THREE panes of glass.  As if one pane wasn't bad enough.  Papa took the door to bits and I carefully got stuck into each pane one by one.



Then it was taking the inside apart and spraying the shelves in the garage just in case the dogs decided to roll all over them once they were sprayed with the ACID.

After the acid stage, I decided it was time for a cuppa and a wee read of my book.  I went out to the side verandah and promptly fell asleep, waking up with a start and wondering where I was!

After lunch, I brought the rails up into the laundry, grabbed a new Brillo pad and scrubbed the rails until they were dazzlingly shiny.  

It is now a new day and I haven't had the strength or the burning desire to put the lot all back together again.  Papa very half-heartedly picked up one of the side pieces this morning and then put it back down and said, "I'll look at it all when I get back from U3A."



I have quilting today up at Kerrie's.  After breakfast I decided to cut up some more strips for my NEW project. 



 I've decided to make my first ever log cabin quilt which is a very old quilting design.  The centre piece is usually red and is supposed to represent the fireplace in the log cabin and the pieces of material that go around the red piece represent the walls of the log cabin.  

I now have two baskets filled with strips.  One with blue strips and the other with lighter strips.



And here is the first block.  I'm really quite pleased with myself.  I think this may be something I'm quite good at.


I think my fire has gone oot!

Love Nanxxx


2 comments:

  1. I think it looks amazing I may try some myself the th bit of fabric i have here. To make into a coach quilt Mummy says she may get a second hand sewing machine because her other one is in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh LiliyPiliy! Wouldn't that be wonderful? It's really easy the log cabin pattern. If you Google 'Log Cabin Pattern' something should come up that you can follow. Don't even worry about making things straight. Just keep sewing on to the various sides and then when you think the block is big enough, say 8" square-ish, just trim up the sides. I'll make one like this my end and post a photograph on the blog. xx

    ReplyDelete

TUESDAY MORNING AT 9.42AM

Hello my lovelies! Here are Wayne and Papa leaving for Geham to put the cross up.  Can you see wee Molly and Spotty Boy looking u...